Friday, November 2, 2007

My new 11th Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Convert

As we are coming to the end of the holiday and thus the end of our money supply I must admit to being increasingly worried about the cost of things, like meals and accommodation. I have to remind myself not to get annoyed and how stupid it is because meals are still costing far less than at home. However today I made some slightly alarming conversions regarding our recent accommodation and our soon to be new flat in London...

Our lovely friends Katherine and Daniel have done all the hard work for us and found what looks like a fantastic flat, very centrally located - I am not sure how to pay you back guys but perhaps we'll just have to cook every night (actually that might be a punishment). I should note that they are also taking a gamble living with us - Matt managed five years, I am not quite sure how.

But back to the conversions, first, we have just stayed 5 nights at Treehouse on Ko Chang - there will be a separate posting on this. OK so there was no phone, let alone internet, and no TV or even a fan in the room and the showers are literally a tub of water and a bucket BUT it was all clean and one could easily while away the days on the beach without too much effort. Turns out that I could while away 4 months there (without any kind of long stay discount) for the cost of one week rent at our new place!!

Second, I am writing this from a great hotel that we stumbled upon
Citichic it ticked all my check boxes for the last two days in Bangkok aircon, cable, huge plasma screen, wifi, bath, hot shower (surprisingly uncommon), nice sheets and duvet (very rare - the nice that is) roof top pool, gym, lift (again surprisingly uncommon), central, quiet and helpful staff. I commented that I could easily live here - well for the price we negotiated compared to our new place I could, a week here is the same as a week of rent - of course I would have to find a job here that allowed me to!!!

If this sounds a little like I am grumbling, it shouldn't, it only serves to remind me how lucky I am to be able to travel around SEA living and travelling comfortably and how lucky I am to be able to live in a great place in London - bring it on I say - its just that until I get my first pay cheque I will obey the new 11th Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Convert and perhaps an 11.1: Thou Shalt Not Compare the Prices in London to SEA or in fact anywhere else in the world.

No comments: