Saturday, June 14, 2008

U can't touch my low budget recording


Just because...

















My latest toy is a pair of headphones replacing my trusty old pair, which were slowly sinking into obsolescence. This has both good and bad consequences.

On the plus side, I can now hear minor details in recordings which have been engineered to include these, such as bluegrass or dense electronica.
On the minus side, I can now hear minor details in recordings which were were not engineered to include these. A prime example of this is MC Hammer. I had previously enjoyed U can't touch this in ignorance of the chorus vocals. I can't be entirely sure, but the backing vocals in the chorus cut off so sharply that it is either:
a) played on a synthesiser set to 'vocal'- I kid you not, or
b) the vocals have been artificially clipped in the post recording process, which would only be done if the singers couldn't come off in unison.
I am leaning toward explanation (a), which is seriously budget. The interesting (to me, anyway) thing is that Pray has much better production values, and that is off the same album.

Serves me right for listening to early 1990s cheese I guess.

No comments: