Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Bad Cover versions of Great Songs : I

Sometimes when I hear a cover version of a song, I wonder 'why did they do that?'
This might be because the cover is a completely faithful replica of the original, which doesn't add to my musical body of knowledge, or because the cover version omitted my favourite part of the original song - such as backing vocals or orchestration.

Then there are those cover versions which take everything that is holy about a great song and deconsecrate it, before throwing the remnants in a toilet and taking a giant poo to show who's the boss. After eating corn for lunch.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present Novospace covering beds are burning. This German techno outfit made a multi album career out of covers of successful 1980s songs, including this one.

What is so abominable about this cover version, I hear you ask?
a) The original is a great Aussie rock song, which has been bastardised into a Eurodance single which sounds just like every other Eurodance single. Now don't get me wrong, I like my cheesy techno, but why does it have to be based on music I like, thus debasing my enjoyment of the original?
b) The original was written in protest at the Australian government's treatment of the Aborigines. Midnight Oil performed this song at the 2000 Olympics, dressed all in black with Sorry written across their backs. The cover is sung by people who don't appear to understand what they are singing.

I wouldn't be angry if they covered a crap original song. But why take a great song and strip it of everything meaningful? Original below:


No comments: