Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Newbie cycling in London

I bought a bike a couple of months back, and have been cycling from canonbury to victoria - about half an hour each way, with a slight incline down in the morning. The route I follow sweeps past Trafalgar Square, Pall Mall and the pelican pond in St James Park, so there is always something nice to look at.
Plus, there is a coffee cart en route with arguably the best coffee in London, which breaks up the morning commute nicely.

Thus far I have achieved the following milestones:
Had my bike stolen from within the communal area of our apartment block 36 hours after purchasing,
Had Marie find it on gumtree,
Popped round to check it was mine, called the cops and got the guy arrested, and got my bike back,
Had a minor crash trying to jump a deceptively high curb, injuring only my pride,
Yelled at numerous pedestrians for stepping out in front of my road,
Worked out exactly how long an emergency stop takes to avoid hitting said pedestrians, and
Worked out the hierarchy of London rush hour traffic. Bigger = right of way, but buses are polite.

It is surprisingly easy to commute in the summer, and interacting with traffic is not actually as bad as it looks from the pavement. The real test will be whether I can continue biking in winter, when it is dark both to and from work. Marie has started biking as well, which is nice.

I have a perfectly functional Trek hybrid, which does exactly what it says on the tin. By North London standards this is not a particularly fashionable bike, as it has multiple gears and multiple brakes. Since starting cycling I have started coveting various bikes of a more fashionable persuasion, but I can't really justify having two bikes. Yet.