Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Flying without baggage

M is in the States for work at the moment, and I am flying over to meet her in New York for three nights. Yes, as I said in my previous post, my life is pretty sweet right now.

I could easily get away with packing only my passport and my wallet. Bear with me while I explain: I know M has bought me a number of undergarments in NZ which are superior to those at a similar price point in the UK. Gold top socks, looking at you.
New York is going to be pretty cold (ie below freezing), so I will just be wearing the same outer casing of coat / scarf / gloves / jeans / boots all the time.
The only garments which I need to pack are three tee shirts. For the comedic value of flying without any baggage (ie no checked in bags + no carry on bags) I would be willing to purchase three tee shirts from a department store once I hit New York.
For toiletries, I can use Marie's moisturiser and deodorant for three days.

I am not sure if this would trump our mate Glen's backpacking around South America for nine months with carry on baggage only, that is < seven kilos. Clue: he weighed every item he took, including shaving products.
But, it would definitely come close.

And yet, I think I will take a hold all, just to avoid the attention of the airport security staff. I like to think I am reasonably open minded toward new experiences, but antagonising non-medical personnel who can legally fondle my prostate is skating on thin ice.

Travelling to New York today sir?
Yes.
How many bags to check in?
Zero.
Carry on bags.
Nada.
Any baggage at all?
Zip.
Please step this way, sir.