Monday, February 27, 2012

Meat and cashflows

Lately I have found myself unable to think about much beyond meat and cashflows (the joys of accounting study), and nearly forgot my thirty – *cough* birthday last week.

I was extremely happy when Stef remembered my birthday and gave me a hand mincer. O for Awesome.
This means that I can now mince my own meat, no longer have to rely on butchers, and can devise my own mince mixes. There are a few examples out there of different cuts contributing different textures / taste to the end product, so should be fun to explore. This in turn raises a conundrum:
a) Butcher A on Essex Road with meat from high quality animals doesn’t stock the more exotic cuts of animal (ie beef cheek, pig head).
b) Butcher B on Theobalds Road with the more exotic cuts of animal doesn’t get his meat from animals which are of as high quality. I am extrapolating from the fact that the Theobalds Road meat is around 60% the cost of the Essex Road meat, but it is still well above supermarket grade so all is well.

Now for my experiments in mince, do I go with
a) high quality meat from a limited cross section of sources, or
b) slightly lesser quality of meat from a wide array of sources?

To frame it another way: mince is usually used as a base, with a bunch of other flavours thrown on top. (One exception I can think of is steak tartare, and that is the only occasion I would mince expensive cuts of meat.) If I am using cheap cuts under lots of other flavours, will I be able to taste the difference between chuck steak and an array of cuts from a lesser butcher, or should I just go for plain chuck steak from the best butcher I can find?

Oh so many experiments to concoct, and lessons to learn about mincing. I have read that with burger patties it helps to chill the mincer components beforehand, so that the meat isn’t warmed as it is minced, and I am sure there is other stuff I need to know which I will find out through trial and error.
And this is not just limited to beef - I have noticed that some butchers put a little pork into their beef mince mix. Bearing food safety guidelines in mind, inter-species mincing is on the cards if the mince is going to be simmered for a long time. Not quite as advisable for 200gm medium rare burger patties. Delicious half pound monster patties.