Friday, April 22, 2011

Assymetrical information

Last night in a Pimlico backstreet I found some of the most egregious wine pricing I have seen for a while.

Cloudy Bay Sav, for 26 pounds, at the bottom of a very short pub wine list.

This retails for around 19 in UK supermarkets, so the pub is only taking a markup of around a third. A quick look on the interweb shows other places flogging this for between 40 and 65 - the lower bound of this range is about what I would hope to find.

The pub in question wins quite a few CAMRA awards on account of its beer selection (they stock the idiosyncratic Berliner weisse, which I have never seen before outside Berlin!), and when I looked around I couldn't see anyone drinking wine. Decisions decisions - do I exploit their wine underpricing, or stick with the delicious weissenbock on tap. Mmm weissenbock.