Thursday, September 29, 2011

Today was a good day



Sometimes weather is something to be endured, where you have a good time in spite of the torrential rainstorm.
Today is not one of those days. When London pulls out late twenties + blazing sunshine, at the end of September, it is wondrous to behold. I used to think I was not too affected by the weather, but when it is sunny the entire mood of the neighbourhood changes.

Of course, there might have been other circumstances kicking in to make me feel so good today. Foremost would be M getting back from a work trip to the States this morning. Following that:

Taking the afternoon off work, with nothing in the way of commitments to impede a lazy afternoon of bothering M. With my public sector leave allocation I am definitely doing this more often.
Double espresso. x2
Bagel with stilton and homemade chutney
Reading a great book in the park
Listening to a soundtrack of church bells, a call to prayer, children playing (nice in an open area, not in a confined space), sirens - it is Hackney - and a xylophone somewhere being hit at random.

All of the above are nice, but when it is 28 degrees and blazing sun it is awesome.

I think part of the reason today is so freaking awesome is that last Monday I got soaked (meh) on the way to CIMA study (meh).
To represent this algebraically, meh x meh = meh squared.
I was sitting in class in damp denim, listening to the tutor explain Maslow's pyramid of needs and theories of marketing segmentation, and I couldn't stop thinking of the following Bill Hicks clip:

I think I would have an easier time with my CIMA if I didn't have thirty three years of prejudice colouring my absorption of information. There is no point in trying to write an exam answer telling the marker that all the theories of marketing are complete bollocks.
Rather, the path of least resistance to get the coveted pass mark is simply to regurgitate the marketing theories we have had paraded before us, like Joseph Smith's golden tablets.

Thus, out of impotent and ultimately pointless anger (Monday night) comes serenity (Thursday afternoon). Today was a good day.